Last night I went to my Book Club excited to discuss "The Zookeeper's Wife", yet a little more excited for a night out, ahhhh the life of a mother! In the course of our discussion of a couple who hid Jews escaping the Krakow ghetto during WWII one of the women informed us of the passing of Karl Schnibbe. He was one of three courageous young friends chronicled in Rudy Wobbe's "Three Against Hitler". For a review of the book on families.com click here.
I was privileged to have met Brother Schnibbe when we were on the same shift at the temple. The men and women didn't really work together but he always said "hi" to me often giving me a piece of candy. Once he stopped to chat for a minute when I was greeting patrons and there was no one to greet. I don't remember what we talked about but he was such a sweet old man with a wonderful spirit about him. I had read the book about their experiences so I knew who he was, and I have to admit, was in total awe of someone who had lived through what he had. I have similar feelings towards extraordinary members of my ward... I am truly surrounded by greatness.
Although I was saddened to learn of the death of the last of these three amazing men I can only imagine what a joyous reunion it must have been.
To read Karl-Heinz Schnibbe's story in the Salt Lake Tribune click here.
To learn more about Brother Schnibbe's friend Helmuth Hubener who was the instigator of their activities and was executed at the age of seventeen click here.
In my search for Bro. Scnibbe's obituary I found out that there is a movie in production about their experiences (or will be this fall). At this time it is being called "Truth and Treason" and Haley Joel Osment has been cast as Helmuth Hubener.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment