Monday, February 14, 2011

The true meaning of...

Valentines Day. Valentines Day is about LOVE. Period. It's great to have an excuse to go out with my husband more than once a year (anniversary) but Valentines Day is about ALL of the people I love. Perhaps my Valentines angst towards romantic love stems from the ten years I spent single after High School. Bitterness dies hard... but considering it IS a day about love I'm going to put aside such lingering feelings and talk about my love affair with books. Don't worry, Brian is completely aware that it is going on and is generally okay with it.

Guess what? Love is contagious. Here are some books about love that my girls and I love to share:
This book is adorable. It's about a puppy named Hugs who goes on a quest around the barnyard to learn about kisses. He discovers that "a kiss from a duck is refreshing, a kiss from a horse is warm, a kiss from a pig is tender, a kiss from a rabbit is soft, a kiss from a butterfly is wonderful..." but the best kiss of all is the one he gets from his mom. The pictures in this book are marvelous. They absolutely glow. It's difficult not to imagine how each ticklish kiss feels as they are dealt out to little Hugs.
Mr. Hatch is all alone. He goes about each identical day as unhappily as the last. Then he receives a large anonymous box of chocolates with a note that says, "Somebody loves you". As he tries to imagine who could have sent it to him his days change. He goes out of his way to help everyone in his community and, in short, becomes lovable. Then the mailman stops by with some sad news. Mr. Hatch reverts back to his former self, nobody loved him after all. The mailman shares what had happened with the neighborhood and they decide to throw Mr. Hatch a party. "Everybody Loves Mr. Hatch".
A variation of "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney, this little poem conveys truths about the parent/child relationship so beautifully that I tear up a little every time I read it. Also, I love, love, love the imagery of a teddy bear and it's child.
This is a story about two very different little boys who vie for their mother's affections. "Who has the most worms... who is the best rower," etc. The end of the day has each boy asking her which one she loves the best. The clever mother explains how she loves each boy the same amount but in different ways by using color to describe the boys she knows so well.




A classic. Favorite Mother's Day story as well. Since the word "love" is in it so many times I think it qualifies, don't you? I challenge any mother to read this without bawling. Brian gave it to his mom for Mother's day a few years back and she tried to read it out loud for her first read. Tried.

HAPPY READING! I have yet to find any books about exchanging Valentines that I love."Queen of Hearts" by Mary Engelbreit is the best one I have found so far especially when compared to some really mediocre books. Abby really enjoyed it, but it's not a favorite. If you have any favorite books about love please share them with me. Can you ever have too many?

2 comments:

  1. Ever since you told me you were going to do this post, I've been checking your blog almost daily! The only one I've read is "Love You Forever," and it was a family favorite growing up. We had an actual tune for the song, and one of my brothers loved for my mom to sing it to him as he went to sleep and come up with silly variations. (For example, instead of "my baby you'll be," she would sing "my dinosaur," "my firefighter," "my lion," etc.) Thanks for all the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read all of these either, but the library is going to find every one for us! We can't wait to put your selections into bedtime. You rock! Have a great one! ~Laura

    ReplyDelete

Font



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

background